In light of some recent stomach problems and challenge diets, I've had to make some fairly large reductions in the variety of foods I can eat. For the past six years, I've only needed to restrict gluten, a protein found in a number of common grains; now, the elimination list also includes a broad spectrum of carbohydrates, mainly dairy products and certain artificial flavorings, including high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, and sorbitol.
Obviously this is fairly difficult for me to handle, as the reductions took effect immediately, dropping the lion's share of my go-to foods out entirely. As a result, I've been forced to find alternatives for those foods with vital nutrients and to abandon those which weren't necessary.
The first couple weeks were absolutely no fun. My persisting symptoms coupled with a lack of comfort food made for a very, very bad time. It was difficult to resist the temptation of chocolate, ice cream and other assorted delicacies. As I progressed through the diet and symptoms began to taper off, I transitioned into the challenge phase, in which certain food groups are added to observe the effects and then removed. It was torture.
As the diet continued, however, I started to notice that I was exhibiting some odd behavior – I was eating more varied and healthily. Beyond that, I was actively looking for new foods I liked and new ways to prepare and combine food I already ate. It sort of caused a dietary epiphany.
In addition to changing my eating habits, I've also needed to take a step back and look at other parts of my health that could be causing problems. I've outlined a lack of exercise as
So as I sit here drinking a sugar-sweetened soda and eating plain tortilla chips, it is clear to me that even though I hate the situation I'm in – I'm still not totally recovered, mind you – the experience has had some very positive effects on my lifestyle. Interesting how the very things which you take to be destroying your life can help you to rebuild it.
No comments:
Post a Comment